Saturday, October 17, 2009

Why Silence Dissent

Many of us are uncomfortable with division or dissent especially when we are the ones involved in the seeming conflict. However, there is a difference between our personal lifestyle where peace is our goal and objective, among other goals and objectives, to a functional democracy. The late Dr. Alan Bloom argued in the CLOSING OF THE AMERICAN MIND, that the citizenry must be clearly and accurately informed. Not only for informed decision-making, but so that our democracy can flourish with the presence of dissent and counterpoint.

Many years ago when people were burning the American flag and even though I felt these individuals had the right to express themselves I heard a judge once say . . . THIS COUNTRY IS STRONG ENOUGH TO TOLERATE THIS KIND OF EXPRESSION. I thought about seriously.

Even though I listen to Morning Joe (MSNBC), Chris Matthews (MSNBC), Meet the Press (NBC), Fox News (including Hannity, Bill O'Reiley, Glenn Beck, Geraldo Rivera, Greta), CNN (Larry King Live, Anderson Cooper, Lou Dobbs), and others, I enjoy watching these programs, tend to be moderate to conservative. I had a real hard time listening to Countdown and Rachel on MSNBC or Campbell on CNN. And sometimes I have to stay away from Glenn Beck when he is on a rampage, so I feel.

But, whether I agree or disagree, I feel that dissent in our democracy is essetial to the psychological check and balance system of our politico-social functioning of our country and mixed culture.

When Obama or the White House seem very irritated by Fox News, I wonder what is the psychology behind that?

Just as I heard horrible things spoken in dissent to George Bush and never felt the need to call for censorship or to focus on them, I find Obama's "fixation" to address his opposition either speaks to his lack of experience in American politics or a deep pscyhological need to thrive without being questioned by any other point of view.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I am testing this. Some of you are trying to post and do not know why it is not posting. Sorry, working on it. Try to re-post. Mahalo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Pastor Yuen. Just a thought, but, hasn't political [governmental] dessention existed ever since Lucifer first utter the words - I will!?

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your posting. Your posting will be on this blog shortly.